Vegan Chocolate Avocado Cake
I know, avocado in a cake?! But why?! Because avocado is amazing! It has an awesome creamy texture, and it’s high in all of the healthy fats that aren’t in butter, so you can absolutely use it as a fat alternative in a cake. Chocolate cake lends itself well to the use of avocado because the flavor of the chocolate masks the flavor of the fruit so you would really have NO idea that the substitution was even there.
3 cups AP flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 pureed ripe medium avocado
¼ cup coconut oil
1 cup water
1 cup prepared coffee
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups granulated sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350° and grease 2 9” cake pans with baking spray. Lining the pans with parchment circles is also helpful.
2. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
3. Whisk together the avocado and coconut oil (it is a whole lot easier to work with the coconut oil if you zap it in the microwave until it is soft).
4. Whisk the water, coffee, vinegar, and vanilla in with the avocado mixture until combined and smooth.
5. Whisk sugar into avocado mixture.
6. Stir dry mixture into the dry mixture until just combined and smooth.
7. Divide batter between pans and bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean. Let cool at least 10 minutes before inverting onto cooling rack and let cool completely before icing.